Cosmetic Product Registration in Japan - Overview
In Japan, cosmetic products are regulated by the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) under the Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Act (PMD Act). The MHLW reviews Quasi-Drugs applications and cosmetics registration in Japan for foreign manufacturers and importers) and evaluates their adverse effect reports.
As one of the most affluent nations in Asia, Japan’s cosmetic market witnesses growth despite economic fluctuations. The MHLW categorizes cosmetics in Japan into two (02) categories. Manufacturers/importers are required to complete their cosmetic product registration in Japan and apply for marketing approval based on the type of product.
The MHLW classifies cosmetic products into two (02) categories, which are:
- General Cosmetics.
General cosmetics: As per the Japanese cosmetic regulations, cosmetics are further classified into five (05) categories as listed below:
- Perfume and eau de cologne.
- Makeup Products.
- Skincare Products.
- Haircare Products.
- Special purpose Cosmetics (including Sunscreens).
Quasi-Drugs: This category includes products used for preventing nausea, heat rash, and mosquitoes, as well as products that promote hair growth. Some medicated cosmetics, such as whitening, anti-aging products, and oily skin or acne treatment products, are also categorized as quasi-drugs.
In Japan, cosmetic product registration is applicable to quasi-drugs, whereas, for general cosmetics, a simple notification is sufficient.
According to Japanese cosmetic labeling regulations, labeling in the local language on the primary cosmetic package is mandatory for all domestic and imported products. Erroneous labeling translations may lead to major reworks and result in significant monetary loss.
The Japanese cosmetics registration process proves to be challenging for manufacturers and importers. As a proven Regulatory partner, Freyr provides cosmetics Regulatory services in Japan, including competent product compliance checks comprising of cosmetic product formulation review along with cosmetic label and claims review. Additionally, Freyr can also perform a cosmetics product notification of the general category of cosmetics.
Cosmetic Product Registration in Japan - Freyr Expertise
- Cosmetic product classification.
- Product testing.
- Ingredient check/registration or cosmetics ingredient review [as per the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association (JCIA)]
- Label compliance check.
- Cosmetic claims review.
- Cosmetic product notification of General cosmetics.
- Regulatory Intelligence (RI).
- Japan cosmetic packaging requirements.
- Strategic Regulatory consulting
Cosmetic Product Registration in Japan - Freyr Advantages
- Expertise in decoding cosmetic product classification and providing the best assistance in cosmetics Regulatory services in Japan.
- Accurate translation services in the local language on primary cosmetic packages.
- Aims at first-time approval to firmly establish labeling compliance.
- A qualified team of experts with hands-on experience across all cosmetic categories like skincare, haircare, infant care, oral care, and beauty products.
- Support for region-specific Regulatory activities.
- End-to-end cosmetic Regulatory consultation, including cosmetic product registration in Japan.